Login |  Register |  help
Gld Hurricanes Sports

Hurricanes cruise past Warriors

Posted Saturday, September 03, 2011 by Sidney McClain

GREER — Wren football coach Jeff Tate was not pleased with his team’s performance against Riverside on Friday night. But in a game that endured a 30-minute lightning delay, Tate was glad his squad survived what he thought to be a sub-par performance by claiming a 49-7 win.

“They had an 88-yard drive that took up most of the second quarter,” said Tate, whose team improved to 2-0. “Not only did they have the long drive, but it ended in a touchdown. Then we come back and try to score and we get one called back, so we’re kind of deflated.

“Even though we were up by 14 points, it was still anybody’s game, but you have to give them credit because they didn’t give up.”

Quarterback Caleb McClain passed for 268 yards and four touchdowns -- three to receiver Brandon Coleman. On defense, senior Adam House intercepted three passes and returning one 27 yards for a touchdown.

Riverside quarterback T.J. Gurn passed for 84 yards, but was intercepted three times. The Warriors fell to 1-1.

Wren jumped out quickly, scoring on the first play from scrimmage thanks to 55-yard McClain-to-Coleman pass completion on a slant across the middle.

The Golden Hurricanes scored again with 5:40 remaining in the period, this time on House’s 27-yard interception return, giving them a14-0 lead.

Wren extended its advantage late in the first period when McClain again hooked up with Coleman, this time on a 20-yard pass play to give it a 21-0 lead with 42 seconds remaining in the first period.

When it appeared the Hurricanes were ready to put the game in cruise control, Riverside displayed signs of life thanks to the play of Gurn. He capped a 17-play, 79-yard drive that ended with him running the ball the final two yards for the score. Following the extra point, the Warriors trailed 21-7.

The Hurricanes attempted to regain momentum at the start of the third quarter. After holding Riverside without a first down after the initial kickoff, they went on a five-play, 40-yard drive that ended with junior Levi Bufford bulling in from three yards out.

Following Jonathan Anderson’s extra point Wren owned a 28-7 advantage.

The game had to be halted with 4:36 remaining when lightning was spotted. That meant a 30-minute delay. After the game restarted, Wren put the game away with three touchdowns.

This page was created in 0.0938 seconds on server 132